Tuesday, August 3, 2010

All Dogs Go To Heaven



A disadvantage to being a pet-owner is knowing that your pet will die long before you. 

I'm an animal lover, I run over squirrels and get upset. I love most animals, but cats and dogs hold a special place in my heart...so this post might seem a little dramatic for some, considering it's all about a dog. But pets become part of a family and it's hard to lose one.
This is Charlie. 

My best friend's dog. But I'm not going to lie, I like to pretend he's my dog. I've loved him like he's my own for 6 years now (since Richie and I became friends). He knows me as the treat giver, the snuggler and the girl who always sneezes 700 times because she's allergic to his hair.

Some of my favorite moments with him include the many hours we spent together when we all went to the beach last summer and brought him. I was always the first one up, so I would give him his breakfast and then we'd go sit out on the porch for awhile while I ate. He'd chase the ducks for awhile, get bored and then plop down next to me. Another favorite memory is from a couple Christmases ago. The Bevilacqua's went to church, leaving a plate of cookies on the dining room table. They returned to find that the cookies were all gone...and in Charlie's stomach. They put him outside (knowing he'd be sick later), and provided him with a table covered with a blanket to sleep under (it was raining). When I showed up a few hours later, I found Charlie laying in the middle of the porch, sopping wet. He looked up @ me with the saddest face. I couldn't take the guilt so I barricaded him in the kitchen and living room using chairs and pulled up all the rugs. Knowing that he might get sick but hoping it'd be an easy clean-up with the hardwood and linoleum.

About a year and a half ago, Charlie was diagnosed with cancer. They gave him weeks to live. He lived another year and a half. But then his 13 year old body couldn't fight off old age and cancer. And it was his time to go.

He was a good dog, friendly and loved people. He would always greet you when you came through the door...whether he actually got up or just thumped his tail against the hardwood in greeting.

He was a smart dog. Richie called him all kinds of names: stinky, fuzzy, stink brain, fuzz brain, chicken, bird, and the list goes on. But Charlie always knew those names referred to him.

He became demanding in the last few years of his life. Meaning if I didn't give him a treat within 5 minutes of walking through the door, he would sit in front of me and bark...I would tell him he was being rude, he would continue to do it. He knew I'd break down and give him something.

He was Richie's best friend. Comforting, a sleeping buddy, a warm greeting and unconditionally loving. So thanks Richie for sharing your puppy and best friend with me.

I know some people say animals aren't in heaven. But I can't imagine a heaven that doesn't have Charlie in it. So I hope to see him when I get there some day and I'll make sure to bring him some pig ears.
RIP Charlie. You are very loved and will be missed terribly.














1 comment:

  1. I love this post and I'll make sure I show this to Richie! Definitely just made me cry...again. I'm so sad and miss him a lot. He loved you so much and thought of you as one of his "people" so to him, he was your dog too. Thank you for this and I love you!

    ReplyDelete