Monday, October 25, 2010

That's why you play the game...

This weekend was the Navy vs. Notre Dame game at the New Meadowlands in NJ. Navy was the 7 point underdog. Navy ended up winning 35-17. And that my friends, is why you play the game.

We left mid-morning from Arlington. Jen, Susan and I crammed into the backseat of my dad's car. We managed to convince my dad to stop at Chik-fil-a for lunch...which was no easy feat considering my dad is all about convenience on road trips. And the CFA did not include a gas station. But, because he loves, us...he stopped so we could have our favorite meal.
Us, in the backseat. Jen assumes her normal position of not facing the camera.
After arriving at the hotel, we took a little nap and then got ready to go out to eat. After our photo-shoot (since we were dressed up nice), we headed to Panicos. The food there was super good, one of the best caesar salads I've ever had and the Lobster ravioli was delicious.
Our photo shoot in the hotel room
After dinner, we headed to the hotel bar to watch the Yankees lose (sorry Jen) and have a few adult beverages. Calling it a night after my dad and Uncle Joe finished their 2nd drink.

The next morning, we got up and ate breakfast as we were all getting ready for the game. We made the 45 minute drive to the stadium and walked from our not-so-good parking spot to the stadium. The New Meadowlands is really nice, puts Fed-Ex to shame. But that also might be the fact that we were in the club section for this game, and the last time I was at Fed-Ex was on my own dollar...so I was in the nose bleed section.

Anyways, after figuring out where our section was, we walked around and looked at all our options for food. My dad was nice and got my mom cotton candy (her favorite) and she shared with with me, Jen and Susan. One of Jen's phobias/dislikes is the way a cotton ball feels. Apparently, cotton candy feels very much like a cotton ball so Jen wanted to eat the cotton candy, but didn't want to touch it. Susan, passing the ultimate friendship test, fed it to her. We got many a looks from our giggling and the actual feeding. After stuffing our faces, we went to our seats to cheer on the Midshipmen. The first quarter was kind of nerve wracking, but then we realized the Navy came to play and Notre Dame not so much...so all in all it wasn't that stressful of a game. Navy ended up winning 35-17.
At the game
After our commute back to the hotel, we took a nap (shocking, I know) and then got ready for dinner. We ate at Tula in downtown Brunswick, next to the Rutgers campus. Once again, it was really good food. I'm always amazed that my dad finds these restaurants in places we've never been before that are actually good. His secret, he says, is Open Table. I'll have to try it the next time I go somewhere and need a dinner recommendation. After our delicious dinner, we once again made our way back to the hotel bar. Things went down hill in the conversation and we (meaning the younger folk) had to explain some nasty terms to the older folk. Kind of awkward, yet hilarious. It definitely made me appreciate my family (blood and extended) and how lucky I am to get along with them and enjoy their company.

All in all, such a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment