Thursday, October 14, 2010

Zumba

My old co-worker kept raving about this new dance class called Zumba. When I joined my new gym in August and saw they had the class, I was excited to try it out.

If you know me well, you know that I love to dance. In any outlet. I dance basically anytime I hear music. I don't know why. I only took an organized dance class for a year. That was abandoned after I realized I was built more for blocking lineman then for ballet or tap. 

Anyways, Zumba is fun. It's a mix of hip-hop and latin dances. You sweat, a lot. It's a good work out while having a good time. I'm not going to lie, half the fun in the class is watching other people dance. Some examples of the people:

1. The older lady. She wants to get back into shape and heard this class was fun. She, however, looks so uncomfortable as she's booty bounching or chest shaking down to the floor.
2. The previous dancer. As stated above this is NOT ballet. You do not need to hold your hands at an exact angle or do a little plie when you're supposed to be squatting. No one is impressed, you kind of look dumb actually.
3. The latin lady who knows how to latin dance. It's A-HMazing to watch them move their hips. Honestly, I'm jealous. I think I'm going to start practicing in the mirror to get everything on my body moving that fast at once.
4. The lady who looks like she takes it way too seriously. Has the dance shoes (the ones that have the special bottoms) and the whole outfit. Usually when this is the case, they start dancing and have no rhythm. Sigh, their cute outfit efforts have been wasted.
5. The girl who can keep the beat. Just needs 1 or 2 repetitions to figure out what the hell is exactly going on. I'd like to classify myself in this category. As I've never taken dance lessons, it takes me one round of the instructor doing the whole set before I can confidently do it on my own.

I definitely recommend it to whomever wants a really good work out while still having fun. And of course, you need to like to shake your groove thing. You don't have to be good at it, as long as you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment